Extremely dry and frizzy hair is a hair condition most people experience at some point, whether it’s occasionally or more frequently. But what does dry and frizzy hair really mean? And how do you overcome it? You can read about it here!
Our experts also share 5 tips on how you can avoid frizzy hair:
- Use products specifically made to treat dry and frizzy hair
- Wash your hair in the correct way
- Be careful with hot styling tools and use heat protection
- Switch from cotton to a silk or satin pillow case
- Don't brush your hair to often
What causes frizzy hair?
A frizzy hair often looks dry and a little rough, at the same time as it can be very fluffy and hard to style. A frizzy hair occurs when the hair's outer protective layer lifts and damp absorbs. The damp causes the hair to ruffle up and the hair becomes frizzy. This also contributes to a lot of volume in the hair. When the hair is damaged or dry, frizz occurs easier, so taking care of your hair will keep the hair's protective layer closed and prevent moisture from entering. The hair types that often struggles with frizz are curly hair and thin fine hair.
It’s easy to confuse frizzy hair with damaged hair as they can look similar, but a frizzy hair is usually only dehydrated, and the structure of the hair is not damaged. If your hair is damaged due to bleach or chemical treatments Maria Nila's repairing products for damaged hair will suit you better.
5 tips on how to fix and make hair less frizzy
Using hair care products for frizzy hair is a solution most people know, but are you aware of which daily habits that can aggravate your hair condition? Below are 5 simple tricks on how to reduce frizz and get a softer and more manageable hair.
1. Use products for dry and frizzy hair instead of home remedies
Since dry and frizzy hair is hair that lack moisture, you should choose hair products that doesn’t dry out the hair. Using shampoo for dry hair is a must to get rid of the frizz. Hair products that are adapted for dry hair contain extra moisture, which is needed to reduce the frizz. Using a good hair masque when washing your hair is extra important if the hair is dry and frizzy. In our range of hair masques for dry hair, you can see which ones are best suitable for you with dry and frizzy hair. Finish your hair wash with a conditioner that seals the outer layer of the hair, in that way you allow absorbing from the good nutrients in the hair masque. A moisturizing conditioner that is specifically adapted to dry hair is recommended.
Hair oil is the last step in the hair care routine and a perfect way to quickly reduce frizz in the hair. Argan Hair Oil can be used daily and be left in the hair after application. To give extra moisture to the hair, you can advantageously combine the hair oil together with our leave in conditioner from the Structure Repair or the Luminous Color series.
Maria Nila's moisturizing hair care series True Soft is excellent for getting rid of dry and frizzy hair. The products from True Soft moisturize and revitalize dry and brittle hair, as well as reduces frizz and static electricity. Prioritize always using products customized for dry and frizzy hair when your hair is frizzy. Consistency is better than occasionally trying out new home remedies for dry and frizzy hair, that might not even work.
2. Wash your frizzy hair in the correct way
- Do not wash your hair too often. Washing your hair too often is a big no no if you want to get rid of the frizz. Even if you use a shampoo with intense moisturizing effect, overusing shampoo can draw out the natural moisture of the hair. You shouldn’t wash your hair more than 3-4 times a week, but if you can do it less than that, it is even better. Keep in mind that it takes time for the hair to wean from the constant shampooing - so be patient if you want to cut down on the washes! Use a dry shampoo between washes, so the hair stays fresh for an extra long time.
- Use conditioner if you wet your hair. Even if you just wet your hair, it can damage the hair. If you soak your hair between washes, it’s important to still use a conditioner.
- Do not wash too hot. Be careful with the temperature when washing your hair. A too hot shower can open the outer layer of the hair and dry out the hair, but not only that, hot water can also cause a dry scalp. You do not need to shower ice cold, but rather too cool than too hot.
3. Watch out with overusing heating tools
Just like with heat from the shower, the heat from styling tools also cause damage to the hair. The temperatures for straighteners, curling irons and hair dryers can be extremely high and are real culprits when used incorrectly. Think it over if you really need to use the heating tools. If the answer is yes, think about the following:
- Do not forget about heat protection. Apply it all over the hair and all your hairs will be protected from the heat.
- Lower the temperature and let the styling take longer. Many tools reaches higher temperatures than necessary.
4. Avoid cotton fabric
Are you sleeping on a cotton pillowcase? Then it can be a contributing factor to your dry, frizzy hair. Cotton absorbs moisture and pulls out the moisture you have in your hair. Instead, choose a pillowcase in silk or satin that allows the moisture in the hair to be preserved. The smooth and soft pillowcases also doesn't create any friction when the hair is rubbed against the pillow. The friction that forms between the hair and the cotton pillowcase contributes to frizz and damages the hair. The same thing applies with towels. Rubbing a cotton towel against the hair also contributes to frizz.
5. Don’t brush your hair too often
Brushing your hair also creates friction in your hair, so be careful not to brush it too often. It’s of course important to brush out tangles, but overly frequent brushing damages the outer layer of the hair and leads to frizzy hair. Brushing your hair once a day is good enough to get your tangles out while the hair's natural oils are evenly spread.
When the hair is wet, it’s most delicate. Therefore, never brush your hair when it has not dried. The hairs can then become split and damaged, so if you usually brush your hair when it is wet, it can be beneficial to review your routines.